MarketLab Centrifuge Buying Guide
There are several elements to consider when shopping for the right centrifuge for your medical lab. Temperature control, process control, and rotor speed all are important attributes that must be weighed.
Here are our centrifuge recommendations based on the qualities and capabilities that are most important to you.
For Spinning Micro Tubes/ PCR Strips
- When your protocols call for fast spins with higher RCF requirements, there are few better choices than the Gusto Adjustable Speed and Time Mini-Centrifuge. It operates quietly and vibrates very little, plus it features a manual override, sample imbalance, and tilt safety cutoff.
- If a small footprint is important to you, you can’t go wrong with the Mini Microcentrifuge 12. It’s the most compact 2-in-1 available, capable of spinning 12 microtubes and/or 4 PCR strips at the same time.
- The Sprout® Mini Centrifuge is ideal for quick spin downs, micro-filter cell separations, and HPLC samples. It takes up very little benchtop space and stashes away easily on a shelf when not in use. Its palm-shaped lid is designed to make spinning easier on both lefties and righties.
- If you need to take a centrifuge on the road, the Portafuge E8 Centrifuge is a fine option. It’s a 12-volt unit that works in any vehicle and is extremely lightweight at 9.5lb. Use the included Car Seat for added security. This centrifuge is exceptionally quiet and features an auto-off 30-minute timer with bell.
- In the same vein is the Porta-Spin PX Mobile Centrifuge. The fisheye level on the lid ensures that your centrifuge is evenly set whether you run it in your car or elsewhere. Its 9ft power cord ensures you won’t have trouble reaching an outlet, and its dual lid latch ensures safety. You can tote it from place to place easily with the convenient integrated stainless steel carrying handle.
For Quick Spins
- Introducing the quick-spin masters. The StatSpin Express line of centrifuges features speeds up to 8,500rpm and places for four or eight tubes. The “2” is a great low-volume laboratory solution. The “3” and “4” feature more room and a reassuring two-year warranty. All of them operate with easy-to-use, preprogrammed spin cycles.
For Large Batches
- The PowerSpin™ M24 is a low-maintenance, large-capacity lab solution that will hold up to 24 10mL tubes or 16 15mL tubes. For a large, 31lb machine, it’s considerably quiet. The PowerSpin features touch-pad memory settings, a zero-rpm safety latch, and a 60-minute timer. We recently upgraded it to include a stainless steel-lined lid, a more powerful DC motor, and a new graphic display to indicate if the rotor is spinning or if the lid is open.
For Superior Separation
- For 90° flat separations, you can’t go wrong with the Hettich EBA 280. With 10 pre-programmable settings , recall of application parameters is easy. Its Quick-Lift™ rotor system enables effortless sample management and rotor installation, while its Safety-Lock™ feature creates safe, tight closure during operation.
- Organizer for Centrifuge Rotors and Accessories: The perfect complement to your benchtop, this handy organizer works with any centrifuge brand and helps keep your workspace tidy.
- Tube Caddy for Centrifuges: The compact design of this caddy makes it perfect for keeping a handful of tubes within reach. It mounts with adhesive tape that comes pre-attached to your caddy and can handle centrifuge vibrations without jarring loose.
- Instrument Vibration Mats: Available in small and large sizes, these mats excel at dampening noise associated with vibrating centrifuges. They are chemical resistant and easily cleanable, and their skid-proof bottoms ensure they won’t slide off your benchtop.
- Traceable Digital Tachometer: This NIST-traceable device features a speed range of 10 to 99,999rpms and is accurate within 0.05%. It includes self-adhesive reflecting tabs, a carrying case, and batteries